Google Analytics

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Chores, How Much of a Biach Should I Be?

I wouldn't call it an ongoing battle. More like a slow simmer.

Chores. My daughter doesn't seem to know the meaning. She is supposed to clean here room (which she does when it finally threatens to swallow her whole), clean her bathroom and clean up the dishes every night. And oh, yeah, feed the cats.

Well, I ususally end up feeding the cats, and I have to ask, pretty much every night, to get the the dishes cleaned up. She does get $7.50 a week, but again, it's usually hard to get her to do the chores to earn this $$.

2 comments:

MommyCheryl said...

Sigh. I've resisted commenting because I know I'll never be able to do this when my kids are older... That said, in perfect world, where no one I know lives, I'd do this. I'd give her, in essence, a performance review at the end of each week. Assign a dollar amount to each chore. So if feeding the cats is worth $.50 a day and she doesn't do it at all, you dock her pay by $3.50 for the week. Etc. Etc. Announce the plan the week before you actually start it, then just implement it. Don't ask or tell her to do anything, just let it slide and keep track of what you had to do yourself.

It seems to me that at this stage, she's probably begging to be treated like less of a kid and this is pretty much the way it works for grown ups.

And, as I said, I like to think I'd be able to pull this kind of thing off, but I know my boys are going to be able to work me as well as I worked my parents. Which means even when they're old enough, Steph or I will still be mowing the lawn every week. But a girl can dream ...

Barbara Clements said...

I think this is sound advice, actually. I might sit down and give it a go next week. An a la carte allowance, if you will.

I'll let you know how it goes.

BC