Google Analytics

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I Dance With Cinderella

Or, actually, I've been hearing the theme songs from Cinderella for about two months now.

J. is in the school musical at the fairy godmother, so I can almost sing (loosely stated) the entire two verses of "Impossible" when FG first pops on the scene.

Which brings me to the dress. This last weekend we went out walking around the Auburn Supermall in search of the perfect fairy godmother dress (I was all for renting or Value Village, but we weren't finding anything, or at least anything in a size 4).

So we wandered into a prom/wedding dress shop, that was packed with bored boyfriends, nervous dads and weary moms, all searching for that perfect spring prom dress.

I spotted some odd tulle sticking out of one line of dresses and dug it out. Voila. It was blue, and not hot pink, and had tulle to spare, along with feathers dotting the top layer of fluff. It wasn't strapless (a no no in an eight grade play, it seems) and yet showed enough skin to satisfy my daughter.

She started to balk at the feathers, when I reminded her she wasn't going out on a hot date, but she was a FG. The feathers worked perfectly for that, as did the long poofy train in the back. Looking skeptical, she disappeared into the dressing room, with orders NOT to peak over the top.

And the dress fit perfectly. Okay, it fit if she inhaled.

Now, the price tag. Org. it was $350 cut down to $150, but once I told the store's owner that is was going to go to a school musical, and yes I planned to donate it for a tax deduction, she whacked it down to $100.

When J. pulled out the pile of fluff and presented it to her drama teacher yesterday, who exclaimed of it, declared it the perfect FG dress, and then asked how much it cost.

"On second thought, I don't want to know," he quickly added.

Unf. the alt. fairly godmother couldn't quite fit into the dress (I suggested we just lose the zipper and put in velcro, but was outvoted ), so she's going back to get the size 6.

No comments: